Le Boulevardier

Ah, what a pleasant surprise! How long has it been? Please, asseyez-vous, as they say. What brings you to the boulevard, aside from the pleasant weather? You must tell me all about what you've seen and heard.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Along the boulevard of earthly delights, France

A gentleman of leisurely pursuits lounging beside the boulevard of life, lost in his own reveries and observing others pursue their dreams or flee their nightmares.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

B & B

"And what did you do this Saturday evening?"

"Oh, the usual, Sieur le Duc. I tarried in the national library, poring over ancient archives."

"Exciting stuff, that!"

"You might be surprised. There's no telling what you can run across, sometimes. I once found a piece of the Shroud of Turin someone had used as a bookmark. In a volume of
Symbolist poetry, of all things."

"How did you know . . . oh, never mind."

"But yesterday evening I was doing genealogical research, on my mother's side."

"Wasn't she Alsatian?"

"I thought Moravian, but I'm not sure. Ergo, the research. How about you?"

"So glad you asked! Last night I had the immense pleasure of going to the theatre to watch a sterling performance of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST."

"Surely you're not referring to that grim and shadowy thing by Cocteau? That's a little harsh for cold late autumn nights.



"No, no! This was the musical, directed by my good friend Gilles. With the troupe of Les Arts Créatif du Spectacle."

"Oh, CAPA."

"Well, yeeeesss . . .roughly translated, of course."

"Roughly. Gilles. Isn't he the poet?"

"Yes and no. She's a director by profession, though also a poet by nature. It was through her kind offices that I was encouraged to attend the production. And I must say it was one of the most pleasant Saturday evenings I've experienced in a long while. From the outset I was tendered invaluable assistance by Sieur Ahedeen."

"Moroccan?"

"Algerian, actually. He showed me to an outstanding seat. There was a gaggle of young theatre people nearby, and he playfully admonished them to exercise courtesy toward the old man. One young person (une vrai bebe) challenged him by asking 'What for?'"

"Ho!"

"I know. I love it when the young challenge authority. They are far less likely to run blindly to their deaths simply because the elders, well, just want them to. Anyway, she thought it might have something to do with my hat!"

"Ho, ho! Oh, the young people these days. Charming."

"Anyway, while sitting awaiting the show to begin I was kindly greeted by Ste. Cyr, Marquesse de Coigne, as well as Gilles' good friend, Victoria. Hmmmm . . . I've just now come to realize how much I so enjoy the company of attractive women. They're so much more delightful than, well, you, for instance. No offense intended."

"And none taken, my friend. Even I enjoy the company of attractive women more than my own. Also, I presumed that your notoriety as a rake was not wholly undeserved."

"Really? A rake? Moi? What a revelation! To be regarded as a gardening implement. Passing strange! Ah, well. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST was a real treat. Such talented young people. The songs were so smooth and sure I could close my eyes and ride the melodies, wholly surrendering myself to their charms. And they could actually dance, something one doesn't often see in amateur theatricals. The costumes were richly appointed, the sets lavishly designed yet with functional precision and care, the lighting elaborate yet fluent, and the sound manipulated with a wholly professional hand."

"And the direction?"

"Please. I would simply sound like I'm gushing. You know that Gilles is my good friend, and that I absolutely adore her. Were I to attempt to comment intelligently on her directing it would sound to many like the empty enthusiasms of an ignorant schoolboy."

"Still, it'd be easier than admitting that you know absolutely nothing about directing theatre."

"I would not go so far, monsieur! You cannot work for the government for thirty years and not know something about acting!"

"Pas faux, Monsieur Le Duc. Pas faux."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home