Le Boulevardier

Ah, what a pleasant surprise! How long has it been? Please, asseyez-vous, as they say. What brings you to the boulevard, aside from the pleasant weather? You must tell me all about what you've seen and heard.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Along the boulevard of earthly delights, France

A gentleman of leisurely pursuits lounging beside the boulevard of life, lost in his own reveries and observing others pursue their dreams or flee their nightmares.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My Many Thanks

“Voila! For your birthday!”

“Why, my good friend D’Esseinte! What an absolute astonishment! I am truly humbled.”

“Tosh! It’s nothing. By the time one reaches my age one comes to know that good friends exceed by far the value of any such trifles. It fills my heart with gladness to be able to proffer such tidings of gratitude for so many years of good friendship.”

“Well, still, my deepest thanks! After all, I know a bit about the world, thus I’m full well aware that it isn’t an easy thing to come by such a . . .an, uh . . .”

“An aardvark.”

“Yes. Certainly. Such an aardvark without some expenditure of time and effort. Particularly one of such resplendent mien.”

“It’s all a matter of who you know, my good friend. It just so happens that the ambassador of a certain well-known insular subcontinent (which will remain unspecified) happened to owe me a small favor arising out of the capture of that rascally Ned Kelly. God save us from the Irish! Or is it for the Irish? I forget. Still, I fear I’ve said too much already.”

“Well, again, my humblest thanks. I know just the place for the little fellow. Look at his little grin! He really does grow on you! Kootchie-kootchie.”

“They are among the most intelligent of their kind, you know.”

“Yeeesss . . . No doubt. Spinoza would blush. It’s a good thing they haven’t WMD’s.”

“Ho! Nor STD’s, as far as I know.”

“I’ll not ask how.”

“How was you birthday otherwise?”

“Ah, my dear Duc. The passing years have brought me the knowledge that it is truly a lucky man who has friends who think of him and wish him well. No possessions can compare to the kind attentions of those who are close. On my birthday I was fortunate to receive best wishes from those few who are near to my heart. One friend I value in particular treated me to dinner and a late-night conversation over music and wine. In sum, it was a fine, fine day.”

“Well, be so kind as to number me among your friends. Let me see, what does Le Monde have to say about your horoscope.”

“You know I hardly believe those things.”

“I know, I know. But it either that or the I Ching. Zounds! What a coincidence! The Chinese have put two people into orbit! I didn’t see that one coming.”

“We so infrequently do. More wine?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home