Le Boulevardier

Ah, what a pleasant surprise! How long has it been? Please, asseyez-vous, as they say. What brings you to the boulevard, aside from the pleasant weather? You must tell me all about what you've seen and heard.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Along the boulevard of earthly delights, France

A gentleman of leisurely pursuits lounging beside the boulevard of life, lost in his own reveries and observing others pursue their dreams or flee their nightmares.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Time, time, time . . .


Sitting beside the boulevard affords one time to think, to ponder the nature of things.

Of late I’ve been reflecting upon certain elemental questions which touch upon creation. Ultimate reality, if you will.

A good friend far more learned than myself recommended a film to me. This film sought to impart to the viewer an elementary understanding of string theory.

Please, don’t ask me to explain this in detail. I have a dilettante’s interest in the sciences. And I trust to the kindness of those who really know of these things not to ridicule the simplicity of my understanding.

Yet, the film mentioned something which struck me as somehow profoundly significant in its implications. It said simply that these vibrating strings, these elemental disturbances in the basic void of creation, impart all manifested qualities to all those things which inhabit our familiar reality.

When I heard this I thought, What an odd concept. That time itself may simply be an attribute of things. Time isn’t an illusion created by the manner in which manifested objects move in relation to each other. It is an actual attribute of manifestation. Like color or texture.

The implication of this is that time can actually be removed from an object. Thought of in another way, an object may actually be taken out of time. And placed in another time. It’s all a matter of changing the attributes of the object.

When I thought of this I suddenly realized that here lay the possibility of time travel. Here, in the manipulation of attributes. And with this realization came a vision of a future when people (or their ilk, as we may be quite different by then) will move between times as they now move from here to there. It will be a future when the distances between the stars will be irrelevant.

What a fascinating time to come. I daresay we can scarce imagine the things that will come to be.

Then I thought, Well, if time is only an attribute what of thoughts themselves?

It was then I decided to go slow with the absinthe.

Moderation in all things, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home