Le Boulevardier

Ah, what a pleasant surprise! How long has it been? Please, asseyez-vous, as they say. What brings you to the boulevard, aside from the pleasant weather? You must tell me all about what you've seen and heard.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Along the boulevard of earthly delights, France

A gentleman of leisurely pursuits lounging beside the boulevard of life, lost in his own reveries and observing others pursue their dreams or flee their nightmares.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Unrecoverable


I just listened to Garrison Keillor perform a tribute to John Updike, after which a performer sang Neil Young's "Helpless".


Something about the line "And in my mind I still need a place to go. All my changes were there" instantly brought tears to my eyes.


I can't really identify the reason. I rarely look back, and references to the pleasantries of what lies in the past strike me as wholly false.


But there are those times, not often, when remembrance of things long gone can evoke in me a rare sense of regret and loss.


And at such times everything seems just too, too sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home