Le Boulevardier

Ah, what a pleasant surprise! How long has it been? Please, asseyez-vous, as they say. What brings you to the boulevard, aside from the pleasant weather? You must tell me all about what you've seen and heard.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Along the boulevard of earthly delights, France

A gentleman of leisurely pursuits lounging beside the boulevard of life, lost in his own reveries and observing others pursue their dreams or flee their nightmares.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Noise

I’m sitting here listening to NPR on the radio, as I do virtually every morning, and from time to time I find that the words take on a sort of meaningless droning sound. This brings me to the realization that the world we hear is full of cant, painfully crowded with a meaningless verbal noise.

It’s hard to escape this avalanche of empty talk. Be it NPR, or CNN, or MSNBC, or FOX news, or any one of the innumerable AM talk shows. All just meaningless noise masking as either informed opinion or meaningless angry rant.

At such times it’s so nice to simply move to the room overlooking my backyard. There I’m not assaulted by the empty verbal madness. Looking over my backyard I hear only the occasional songs of birds, the whir of insects, the rustle in the trees.

Everyone should have a backyard. I feel myself to be very fortunate.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, you may wish to read Thomas Aquinas and Augustine of Hippo's writings on the 'just war theory.' Though hundreds of years old, they seem valid to me today and reinforce much of what you have written in your blog about supporting women and men whom we offer as sacrifices in the useless exercise we term war. As they 60's folk song asks: 'when will they ever learn?'

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home